Friday, March 23, 2007

 

More Bats

March 23rd. 4pm.
I have signed to the "New Blogger" but I don't yet know what this is going to mean or how things will change. It is quite possible that I won't be able to log on again. It doesn't look the same- a different font maybe? Whatever the new blogger will bring I am unable to retrieve what I wrote yesterday though I have been told that someone read it so it must have been published. I don't yet know if the huge number orf regular readers has realised that a regular service ha s been resumed, not that there were ever many /any comments.
I have been buying seeds from Suttons catalogue. Its a bit like Amazon shopping which I have also been doing as I'm stuck at work with nothing to do until 5pm. Although Rick Stein mentioned four types of Chinese Brassicas, the only one that features regularly in any catalogue is Pak choi,so I have ordered two varieties. I suspect that the final product, raw or cooked, will be a lot less suuuulent and inviting than the dish he prepared in seconds in his precent programme. I took the opportunity to order okra, climbing French Beans and globe artichokes. The sleeping partner sleeps on but he may have a view about what gets planted. By the time he puts in an appearance there should be fouur rows of raspberries, one row of early potatoes, some roses and blackcurrant and space reserved for the following :-
201. Artichokes
202. Purple Sprouting Broccoli
203. Runner Beans
204. Climbing French Beans
205. Sweetcorn
206. Beetroot
207. Pak choi
208. Carrots
209. Lettuce
210. Okra
If the preparation of the ground has advanced sufficiently, there will be tomatoes, possibly peas and possibly parsley. If the whole plot were ready of course all these things would be attempted but some may have to wait for another year.
The return of the mild weather means there should be one or two decent sessions on the allotment after work on Saturday and on Sunday. It has also been a reason that the bats are out again at dusk though strangely I found one in the house the other day, lying in a bucket by the raspberries. How or when it got there is a mystery. I can only imagine that it crept in in early February and had been lying around until I released it last weekend.
My trawl for food in crime fiction continues without much success. I saw in the Grauniad the other day that someone nominated the best meal in fiction as one in Rex Stout's "Too Many Cooks". I thought there was a copy in the house but all I could find was "Over My Dead Body"! Maybe its in a box and I will have to have a search. More bookcases are needed but what will happen when I'm dead? Will any one want this library of crime fiction? And do we even need
fiction after events in Jamaica?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?