Saturday, January 06, 2007

 

Loafing about

January 6th. 20.56
It was not going to be a good day for gardening as I was woken by the rain beating against the window pane but since football was cancelled, the fatboy was available for a long game of squash. Although I ate an entire loaf with Italian salami yesterday, I felt it was "healthy" eating as the label said it was "stone ground". Actually, when I think about this, I have no idea what it means.
I feel thinner already. It has been a good day because the Swans won at Sheffield and Arsenal won at Anfield.I'm looking forward to Match of the Day.
By a peculiar coincidence one of the actors on yesterday's list seemed to be in several films on television this weekend - Cary Grant in Charade with Audrey Hepburn this afternoon. She would have been in the list of actresses I might have produced along with Lauren Bacall and Catherine Deneuve, had I produced one yesterday. I note there was also a letter in the Guardian more or less agreeing with me though he tactfully failed to mention Germaine Greer's lack of sex appeal. I don't suppose she cares but you never know. I suppose that at least Greer's articles are thought provoking and controversial, whereas the endless "illustrations" and second rate cartoons in the Guardian are a waste of space. Am I alone in thinking that they are never interesting or funny?
I am trying to think if any cartoons in daily newspapers or periodicals were ever funny. Giles used to be quite good but were often rather similar. I used to quite like Andy Capp. Punch used to have good cartoons and so did the New Yorker, but do they still exist? Private Eye has good cartoons. Best of all of course was Mad Magazine but it only had cartoons. So, to celebrate the creators of some of the best cartoons that have brought me great amusement, I offer:-
161. James Thurber
162. Peter Arno
163. Charles Adams
164. Ronald Searle
165. Gary Larson
166. Ronald Giles
167. Bill Tidy
168. Don Martin
169. Reginald Smythe
170. Antonio Prohias
There were lots of others I would have willingly included but the rule is only ten at a time so they will have to wait for another day. Needless to say, no contributor from the Guardian in this category gets a look in!
I doubt if tomorrow's weather will be any different from today's, so there wont be any digging after work. I wonder if I/we will finish it before the spring.

Comments:
Can I post?
 
It appears I can.

Re. The Guardian.

Pretty much the only reasons for buying the "Only paper worth reading" are the various crosswords. All cartoons, 'trendy' games etc on the crossword page should be removed.

11. Herge (I can't find the accent key) should really be on the list.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?