Sunday, December 10, 2006

 

Slow Bowling Ahead

December 12th. 18.00
I am looking forward to Match of the day. Not many teams leave Stamford Bridge with a point these days. Unfortunately the gap is widening at the top and although they, the nameless ones, are likely to win by a mile, they do look pretty impressive. At work, as though to taunt me , I am given coffee in the Man U Mug or, almost as bad, the Piggy Mug. As I write this at home I am having a "nice cup of tea" in the extra large Donald Duck Mug! Why do people say "What you need is a nice cup of tea" or "We'll have a nice cuppa" as though there is a reasonable alternative of a truly "ghastly cuppa"? Or, when you say you are going on holiday they ask "Anywhere nice?" as though you would pick a destination from the list of holidays in hell.
It has come to my notice that certain readers of this blog do not understand the term "sleeping partner". For those that do not, I suggest you look it up in the Oxford Dictionary. My sleeping partner was amused when I mentioned this to him, and rather sooner than he expected after a night in the pub, became a proud and rather exhausted father for the first time! Quite a week for new sons as friends in the Midlands also had a son earlier in the week.
I don't think that The Food Police were concentrating, perhaps because of jet lag. Renee Hagita never played in the football league and the scorpion kick was only achieved because of the generosity of the ref; the shot had been very clearly offside and had Hagita missed the kick the ref wouldn't have allowed the resulting goal. Bruce Grobelaar wasn't good enough or was he deliberately poor? We'll never know.
There has been a slight gap in the blogs this week, due partly to the fact that there has been a rather disconcerting but completely understandable weight gain and partly due to the fact that last weekend I met most of the readers of the blog so it didn't seem that there was news to impart. I have always been sorry for those that do not enjoy sport as it plays such a large part in daily life of so many people either as participants or observers. One grown woman told me recently that it was a thrill to watch the All Blacks rampaging against Wales and even she, who hardly knows the difference between soccer and rugby, could appreciate the skill and strength of the players. Who could fail to appreciate the fluid passing movements of Arsenal in form, culminating in a Henry goal? or "that" goal the Argentinians scored in the World cup this year? or the Gareth Edwards try in the famous Barbarians/ All Blacks Match from Cardiff? or the skill of the quarter back delivering an inch perfect pass to a sprinting wide receiver forty yards up-field? or Shane Warne tormenting a batsman on a turning wicket. I was trying to explain to a student, in my usual politically correct way, how disadvantaged many elderly women were because they didn't follow sport and I think he agreed with me- or at least pretended to. So, although I realise that its not everyone's (nice) cup of tea, I offer the following:-
121. Shane Warne
122. Muttiah Muralitharan
123. Jim Laker
124. Derek Underwood
125. Tony Lock
126. Mushtaq Ahmed
127. Richie Benaud
128. Johnny Wardle
129. Anil Kumble
130. Bishan Bedi
Great fast bowling may be the theme of another list one day but so many deliveries are left alone and the pace of the game so much slower that I find it far less intriguing than the slowies.
I sometimes wonder whether the book reviewer actually reads the book or perhaps reads only part of it all the way through. The Observer today recommends "The Prone Gunman" which has been previously slated in my blog. "Night Bus" was a very original thriller, very funny and a really good read. It can be found somewhere on the bedroom table for those that want to borrow it. Meals are prepared, even by the thugs, and descibed in loving detail, but somehow the psychopathic cook makes them seem less appetising than they would have been if prepared by someone more sympathetic. My own culinary highlight of the week has been Libyan food when I was a guest the home of a Libyan family. What a treat! I would tell you more but unfortunately can't spell most of the dishes.I doubt if the weight will have gone down this week which leaves only another three weeks to make any serious half year losses. Do I hear any bets out there?
Christmas is now generally reckoned to be a commercial opportunity so, not wishing to be seen as someone who won't enter the spirit of the thing, I have decided to sell my soul on e-Bay. Do you think I could possibly sell it more than once- a bit like Zero Mostel selling a fifty percent share repeatedly in that wonderful film "The Producers"? Of course he ended up back in prison, but with a soul, who would find out? I could claim it had been cloned if challenged.
That of course makes me wonder why The Producers weren't on my list. I didn't think of it at the time and there are probably many more for each list that would be very worthy of inclusion, so there may be a case for more list on the same themes in future, but not for a while. Finally, before anyone bothers to point out the mistake, there were two 120's, so there was an extra journalist.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?