Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Spam

November 12th. 21.13
Having been on call this weekend I definitely feel thinner. Still no bread in the house, I shall be mainly eating protein and yogurts for the next few days. I find that I have filled the fridge with lamb chops, beef steaks, cod, parma ham and cheese. It all looked so good when I went shopping but I'm not sure I can eat it all before it goes off- unless I start having chops for breakfast!
There is a comment from Cory Edwards whose blog, Cory's Curiosities, I have read. He includes a photo which may be easy enough but is obviously beyond me and a lot of biographical details. I suppose anyone could guess who I am, where I live and what I do, though of course most readers are well known to me, but I prefer to keep it anonymous. Since in theory it is about me losing weight, I'm not at all sure why Cory Edwards would look at this blog, but I thank him for his message. I suppose 'askintoo' is just a sort of blogspam and has probably written the same publicity remarks on countless other blogs, though why he hit mine or Cory's is a mystery. I would have thought that the non-commercial and amateurish tone would be apparent. I agree it should be discouraged though the death penalty seems a bit harsh.
When I was a schoolchild, Spam was quite popular. I have memories of eating it with mashed potatoes and potentially dangerous lettuce. It then seemed to disappear for years , only to reappear in the Monty Python sketch. I'm not even sure if it could be bought in ordinary shops in those intervening years. Then I saw a can of it in a local supermarket, possibly fifteen years ago and bought it for nostalgic reasons rather than hunger. It was awful and very salty. Strangely I haven't seen it since though I haven't been looking for it. I don't go to the tinned meat section- is there one? So why is computer spam so called?
A further brief note on rice pudding in the 'biscuit' form. A few years ago I thought I would cook a rice pudding in the lower Aga oven while I went out so I could eat it on my return at closing time. I completely forgot it but was woken by the smell of something cooking at about four in the morning. It was by then quite solid, slightly crisp at the edges but not burnt- absolutely delicious- a perfect 4am snicky snack!
I haven't heard the score, so I dont know how much I'm going to enjoy the big match on Match of the Day in a few minutes. Did Arsenal win earlier today?Can I get a ticket watch them in the Emirates stadium this season? You would think that it would be easy but its really not.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?