Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 

Louie Knight

September 27th.
When I typed Montalban it came out mysteriously in blue but in the published blog it appeared in orange/brown. The last blog came out twice with a slight change to the second as I didn't think the first had been accepted. I continue to be regularly baffled by these oddities.
For those who have never met him, I would like to introduce Louie Knight, who is posssibly the only Welsh fictional detective, or rather, Private Eye. He is the only PE in Aberystwyth, hard drinker with a weakness for icecreams. Can you think of another Pe who eats icecreams? I don't remember him eating anything else except perhaps some whelks or maybe some fish and chips. I am particularly fond of him having worked in Aberyswyth and the titles are irresistable-Aberystwyth Mon Amour- Last Tango In Aberystwyth- The Unbearable Lightness of Being In Aberystwyth. Well, perhaps they are resistable as I suspect that not many of you have read Malcolm Pryce's books. But the point is, that no proper meals are consumed.
I cannot offhand remember Marlowe ever eating a proper meal except eggs for breakfast, and like all other detectives apart from Mma Ramotswe had a huge intake of alcohol.Did Mike Hammer ever eat a solid meal? What is it about these detectives and Private Eyes that drives them to drink so much?It cant be lack of excitement or variety in their lives. Perhaps they would solve the crimes a bit quicker if they drank less and then there wouldn't be enough left to write a story about! I always think of Bernie Rhodenbarr as a sort of detective but he was of course a burglar who was very strict about not drinking before a burglary. Matt Scudder, one of Lawrence Block's other 'heroes' seems to have an alcohol problem, but I find him rather unpleasant and have given up reading them. Odd isn't it how one whole chunk of a writer's output is unacceptable , whereas I cannot get enough of Bernie Rhodenbarr's adventures?
I don't wish to give the impression that I am against alcohol. I am simply observing that it plays a big part in the oral intake of these characters. Carvalho and Montalbano at least have a decent and interesting diet.My diet of fish, ensalada malaguena,vino tinto and San Miguel resulted in a loss of about half a kilo. I didn't visit the allotment as I was overwhelmed by laziness and fatigue, and it was raining. Amazing how tiring it is on the first day back in work.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?