Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

Bristols

September 7th.
Need I say more? How posh is that?
Those only now discovering the blog might have missed the ratatouille/batatouille references earlier. I have not repeated my attempt to cook that dish as it is inevitably disappointing in my hands (and the bats are hard to catch) and I think it would be best for me to go to France to catch up on some really French meals and I will stick to beef and Yorkshire etc. and I wont try to grow or cook courgettes. The fish,chips and beer diet is not to be taken lightly and is not recommended for all. It just obviously suits me. New readers and contributors are very welcome but I must point out that it isn't just relatives who are reading it and skeletons must be kept in the cupboard (or in the attic if that was where you hid the last victim, Dunc).
I do feel that this has become an open e-mail to anyone, relative, friend, aquaintance or passer by which has led to contact with those I sadly seldom see and just as was predicted earlier, it has become slightly less food orientated and there are morepersonal snippets . It would be fairly easy to tell what occupies my spare time, what I'm doing, what I'm reading and eating though I haven't mentioned Hereford, the chained library and the Mappa Mundi. The Food police were thrilled to see Colchester on the map- one of the few places in Britain to get a mention.
I am also looking for advice on what to plant in the autumn apart from the soft fruits and perhaps some more plum, gages and apples which could be grown as espaliers or even fan trained against the allotment north wall. Someone mentioned broad beans but do I like them enough to bother? Furthermore, I would be interested to know how many people actually read the blog. Is there a way of finding out how many read it without making a comment? Even if nobody was reading it, I would still continue as it will become a part of the evidence about weight reduction that will eventually appear in the long promised book A Short Guide To Dying. There is nothing like first hand experience in all the unpleasnt and pleasant things which contribute to health and play their part in survival.
The first meal in Havana Red comes on page 69. Paisa. Red beans boiled until soft, add minced meat, ripe plantains, eggs, beefsteak with plenty of garlic and onion with rice cooked with extra lard! Very unappealing to me but eaten with great enthusiasm and pleasure by Conde, the detective. All this talk of food makes me hungry so I will go now to find something interesting in my local superstore. I find a combination of pistaccio nuts, peas I shell from the pod and eat raw, with Italian salami makes a really tasty starter or in fact a meal in itself when you add some salad, ham and assorted cheeses.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?