Friday, August 04, 2006

 

Mincer

August 4th.
Thank you for the recipes. M's pate was definitely the best. She should make strenuous efforts to hunt it down. How can you lose a mincer though? One minute it was on the table and the next moment it was gone? I haven't got any sort of mincer (or blender or mixer or mouli is that what they're called?) but the old fashioned mincer was my favourite. Maybe I'll go to one of those cooks toyshops and buy one or can you hire them for the day? Make stacks of pate and freeze and hire it again in a year or two.
I'm not sure about the cheesecake as it rather a sugary dish. I'm sure it can be made without the base which so often lets the whole thing down badly by being far too crumbly. Perhaps without the sugar it could be a savoury but then you wonder 'whats the point of this dish?). Earlier this evening ,on returning from work and hoping for test match highlights which I missed, I was lucky or unlucky enough to see one of those celebrity chefs talking about, and demonstrating, the use of rose petals. I'm afraid that this sort of pretentious arty farty cooking may be O.K for the Japanese or the residents of Islington , but it is not for red blooded old fat grumps like me and I gave him a piece of my mind. More and more as I get older, I'm shouting at the tele.
I never got the feeling that either Pepe Carvalho or Salvo Montalbana were slim; quite the opposite actually. Someone is reading Montalbano in Ibiza- does she mean Camilleri or Montalban? I plan to keep a note of fictional meals but so far Jacobson hasn't eaten a thing in Kalooki Nights.
After a hard midday game of squash in which the usual thrashing was handed out , I had a sneak preview of my weight yesterday on return to work; down by a whole kilogramme. I don't suppose it will last as I'm sure I was dehydrated. A huge plate of runner beans with ham and chorizo and garlic sausage was the main meal, with one peach, one yogurt and some cheese. I don't know why I say 'main' meal- it was the only meal. Tonight, after a long day at work with no time for sport, a hungry boy came to eat so while he ate one and a half baked potatoes, I had the remaining half with fresh runner beans and ham. One nectarine and probably a yogurt later. Tomorrow is Saturday and I have to work but I'll have a swim on the way home and will have a few beers tomorrow night. Will my weight be less next Wednesday? Any bets?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?