Friday, August 11, 2006

 

Boffins and pundits

August 11th.
Twenty six lengths in an almost empty pool on my way home to ham, runner beans,lettuce, cheese and two yogurts.
Television news of course dominated by commplete lack of facts but the usual wheeling out the boffins to speculate endlessly about what might have happened if it hadn't been for the vigilance etc etc.. 'Mass murder on an unprecedented scale', 'Our 9/11','Attack expected imminently'. Obviously maximum inconvenience all round , especially to those planning to fly on August 10th and the next few days. If they don't find evidence to support these claims this time, I won't be the only one to question the competence of the anti-terrorist squad and wonder whether the 'intelligence service ' is actually intelligent enough to cope- or to trust. I might offer my services to take charge of the whole business as long as I would not have to have dealings with the inexplicably unlikeable John Reid.
Another weekend beckons. I will not be flying anywhere. I might play squash later but after two thrashings this week Woody doesn't have much strength left for another and I'm not sure that I want to tackle 28 lengths today. However, as you will have noticed, more discipline has crept into my life lately, so maybe I should continue work on the unfinished and notorious book on dying. That would surprise a few of you!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?