Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

First comment!

July 20th.
Then very first comment from my reading audience, possibly my only audience, states that my blogs are rather food orientated and perhaps should contain interesting snippets about my life. I think that the snippets will actually take over a major part of the blogs eventually but I must stress that it is necessarily food orientated as the purpose is to demonstrate that weight can be lost painlessly by manipulating food intake, preserving interest and flavour at the same time, without feeling hungry.
I believe the Guardian has had articles about authors' favourite meals in literature fairly recently. It just happens that I have been reading some of the works of Andrea Camilleri and of Manuel Vasquez Montalban both of whom have detectives who enjoy food and describe meals and their preparation in great detail. I seem now to be reading two books wcich also give the menu of some fairly large meals.The first and rather shorter of the two is Adios Hemingway by Leonardo Padura Fuentes. It is set, not surpringly in Cuba. I have yet to find out what 'quimbombo' stew is. It is probably eaten with white rice, fried malanga, avocado salad, watercress and tomato and followed by guayaba jam with white cheese. I think I will go to Cuba to find out though I doubt if it would be possible to lose weight eating such food.
The second book I am reading at the moment is Anna Karenina in which there is early on a description of a fairly massive meal eaten by Levin and Stepan Arkadyich consisting of three dozen oysters, vegetable soup, turbot with thick sauce, roast beef, capon and stewed fruit!
Yes, I do often have two books on the go at the same time, particularly if one is as long as Anna Karenina. I suppose that since food plays such a large part in our daily activities, its purchase, preparation and consumption in both routine and sociable settins, it is no surpprise that it crops up in literature as well. Still more surprising really that it doesn't feature more frequently. So there are snippets for you; my taste at the moment in books and my plans to visit Cuba.
Back to everyday life, I was eating more cod last night, cooked in the oven with grated 'seriously strong' cheddar with a salad. Why do they call it 'seriously' strong? They never refer to food as 'seriously bland'.
Finally, I should point out that the time that appears on these blogs is very inaccurate and they are usually written during daytime in Britain.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?